The Price is Right
"What price should __________ be?"
This is probably one of the most common and angst-filled questions that my clients and I tackle together. What is the right price for your services? How do you put a price on all the knowledge, education, and wisdom that you've gathered over the years?
There are logical factors you can consider.
What is the value to the people you are going to serve? What do other people who do what you do charge?
Unfortunately, for a lot of healing practitioners, coaches and creative entrepreneurs the price range is wildly variant so looking to what others charge is probably not going to work. And yes, being able to articulate the value you bring to others is really really important, it won't necessarily be the last word on what you charge.
You can start with the end in mind... if you require $100,000 per year to support yourself, you can work backwards into your pricing structure. This is actually a great way to do it IF you don't have any issues around charging for your services, but for a lot of people, the price that falls out of this often makes people want to cry and there is an internal alignment that needs to happen in order to get behind that number 100%.
So what do you do in the meantime?
Start with a range.
I call it the "disgust to throw-up range" - very technical, right? What price is so low that it disgusts you to consider taking it? What price is so high that it makes you want to throw-up to consider asking it? The low number causes resentment, the high number causes you to collapse in on yourself energetically - you can't support that number.... yet.
Between those two numbers is your right price.
Finding the Right Price.
You know that range we were talking about above? Think about those numbers.... you feel those numbers viscerally - in your body. Most people view pricing as a wholly intellectual decision. And it certainly CAN be. But I've found that using the built-in guidance system that is your body is FAR better and will give you the perfect price... the price that you can fully get behind, that feels like a fair exchange of what you give.
- Find your "disgust to throw-up range" for the service or product you are pricing. Write these numbers down at the top of a piece of paper. Note the visceral feeling in your body... these are both strong, energetic and emotional "no" prices. This is really important information.
- Relax fully into your body. Take a few moments to take some deep breaths and relax. Feel your feet on the ground, your seat on the chair, and finally let your attention rest on the rise and fall of your belly. Ahh, nice. That's better.
- Check in with the mid-point number on your range. Visualize in great detail receiving that amount of money for your brand of awesome. Imagine getting the check, or the "You've Got Money" email from Paypal.... breathe it in.
- Notice how it feels in your body. If it is still a "no", then you need to move further up your range. If it feels neutral, move up about half as much. If it feels expansive, visualize in tiny increments until you get to the price point where it feels delicious to receive that amount but you are teetering on the cusp of your "throw-up" response.
Let me be clear...the right price for you is the price that stretches you on the high-end. You feel nervous asking for it, but it still creates that expansive, yummy feeling in your body.
Rinse and repeat for every offering.
This works because it circumvents all the stories we tell ourselves about pricing. All those crappy "shoulds" that we get tangled in. Our bodies do not lie - unless we are letting our minds interfere in the process.
Once you've landed on your right price, notice any thoughts that come racing to the surface about the "rightness" of this price. Now is a great time to work with those thoughts if they don't have anything nice to say - not to push them away, but to acknowledge them and then find proof that the opposite is true.
Then put your new price up.
Visualize how happy you will be to receive that amount. Visualize how much your ideal client will appreciate the change you are helping to facilitate. Feel that expansive energy and let it inform how you share your offers and invite people to experience your work.
Namasté to you, lovely.
- News (1)
- Money & Worth (37)
- Women in Business (55)
- Must-Read (68)
- Get Right with Money (19)
- Inspired Action (31)
- Nourishing Practices (24)
- Energy Medicine (7)
- Leading with Truth (23)
- Trust Yourself Fully (14)
- Emotional Wisdom (10)
- Living with Intention (38)
- Innate Wisdom (36)
- Spiritual Growth (13)
- On Courage + Strength (27)
- Soulful Entrepreneurship (10)
- Feminine Path of Recovery (13)
- Wild Wealth (23)
- Adventure & Travel (6)
- Sacred Practice (10)
- Trauma Sensitive Business (3)